3.26.2009

Scenes From the First Spring Run--100th Post

Happy Spring!

There's not much more satisfying or distracting than the first few warm days in March.

We have celebrated J.'s birthday, he ran the Oak Mtn. 50K (33 miles), student teaching is complete, and all of my major graduate projects have been finished. On a training front, J. just keeps on going and going and going. There's no stopping or keeping up with him.

I kicked off my official training schedule for the Memphis Marathon and Augusta Half Ironman on Monday--a brief five miles and an hour bike ride. Needless to say, the warm weather, cool breeze, beautiful buds, and blue skies were distracting . . . mostly because I brought my camera along to document the change in season.



Running along this parkway is always full of memories. I've run the parkway in the snow, soaking rain, torrential thunderstorms, swirling leaves of fall, and the thick stagnant humidity of August.

My grandmother grew up riding her horse down to this area--which at the time was a man-made lake (hence the name of the road by the path--Lakeshore Road). I remember when I could only run halfway down the path without stopping (1 1/2 miles) and wondering what it would be like to be able to run down and back without stopping (5 miles).

The path meanders in the shadow of the hospital where my two sisters and brother were born. I always think about the people in that hospital--the ones that are there for exciting events, like the birth of a child, and those that are there and would rather not be. It makes me thankful to be out on the path and not in the halls of the hospital.

I pass by the first office building I ever worked in after college and remember the brief period of time when I walked with co-workers along this path after work. I've seen this path almost underwater when Hurricane Ivan came through and the creek swelled to just beneath the cross bridges. I also pass the place where I spent the last 3 years of my life working. I pass it smiling and saying a brief prayer for those left in the building and those who are also no longer there. I can't help but grin when I realize how good it feels to not be there anymore.

The path runs by a nice retirement home. Frequently there are residents mosying down the trail--some even taking naps on the benches. When I hear a fire truck or ambulance wailing out front it makes me run a little faster.

Sometimes the National Guard unit located along this path is running training drills. Some of them march along the path in full garb with weighted backpacks simulating the heat and weight they will face in combat--or have already faced. I always smile at them and hope they know it's because I'm thankful for their service. I'm out for a run because I want to be running and they are training in order to fight for their lives and ours if need be.

I pass by Homewood High School and wonder if I may ever have the opportunity to work at a school system as good as Homewood. I also wonder what my life would have been like had my family stayed in Homewood and not moved to Vestavia. I have to duck when I run by the baseball field. I've seen a line drive almost beam a runner as the path meanders right along the third base line. And while there is the risk of being hit, it's fun when there are games going on and you can watch the game for the period of time it takes you to get from third base to home before the path curves away from the field.

I remember the wee-morning hour runs and passing homeless people on the path as dawn broke. I guess it's a safer option for sleeping than downtown areas. I finished my longest training run for Chicago on this path--delirious. In many races this is the spot that I visualize. I know exactly where the 1/2 mile markers are and what it feels like to have 1/2 mile or 1 mile left on this path. In so many races I'll get to a point and think, "OK, I only have to go down and back on the parkway once."

This is the best part of running. You get to know an area--what it looks like in the brilliance of fall, the still of winter, the beauty of spring, and the green of summer.

It's spring! At dusk, drive around with your windows down and smell the wisteria and cherry trees blooming--hear the crickets getting started. Those hot, humid days of a deep South summer are right around the corner. Just in time for marathon training :).

Here are some pics from my Monday excursion to the parkway:



Bike is ready to go!



"Where are you going????? Take us with you!"



Cherry trees are my favorite! When the blooms start to fall it looks like snow because the blooms are so teeny.





The trees all have little green buds that almost don't even show up in the photo. But the grass is definitely back.



Nothing but blue skies and light breezes.



Grass and wildflowers showing off before the shade of the leafy trees closes in.



Good luck to all of you shaking your rump this Saturday in the Rumpshaker 5K. Go Kacey Go! :)







Enjoyed using these bad boys for the first time--aerobars are FABULOUS! Thanks, J. :).



Where's Waldo?--or Stella and Beasley



"Yeah! You're back--are you taking us for a walk now?????"

More regular blogging to come--I promise.

1 comment:

Sum-E said...

Beautifully captured! The girls and I noticed all of these things when we tested out the jogging stroller. Sunny asked if we would get a trophy, Tiger Lily chanted a nice cheer! I enjoy running with them!