9.13.2008

By the Light of the Moon



It definitely wasn't a pretty process, but 20 miles is now under my belt. I owe a huge THANKS to J. He had to stand in as coach, cheerleader, and storyteller this morning. I don't know that I would have made it without him.

It's been a busy week leading up this run--got the paper done. I got six hours of sleep last night after going to class and studying for my exam this morning. J. and I were determined to squeeze this long run in before my 9 a.m. exam so we could have the rest of the weekend to "relax."

So, when the alarm clock went off at 3 a.m. we rolled out of bed, ate, gulped some coffee, attached our red blinking lights (so cars can see us) and started running at 4:05 am. The moon and stars were beautiful, sprinkler mistings plentiful. It's quite peaceful in the neighborhood back roads of Mtn. Brook from 4-6 a.m. Time seems to pass more quickly when you're running in the dark--not sure why but I'm thankful.

I was strong until mile 16 when my knee began to hurt. J. coached me the rest of the way through--mixing in some walking. It was painful for me--and probably painfully slow for J. I'm sure :). Huge THANKS J. I owe ya! But pain aside, 4 hours later we got back to the car--leaving just enough time for me to shower quickly before running down to UAB for my exam (which I was not necessarily in the best mental state for--but it's over).

For the next 48 hours J. and I plan to watch football, play with the pups, enjoy some good food, and relax in every way possible. Hope you all have weekends full of fun!

Downside . . . it took 4 hours. Upside . . . we have carrot cake left!

And--a quick shout out to Meggie! She got 9 miles in for the first time and joined a running club. You go girl! Looking forward to the H'ville and Seaside Half-M's with you.

"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." --Dean Karnazes

No comments: