10.30.2009

Life is Good...Taper Madness

We made it to another Friday and it should be a fun weekend. We are going to be attending a Halloween party tomorrow. I haven't participated in the annual festivities since about 4th grade. Maybe there will be a photo post of the Greggs in costume.

Katie has been a little under the weather this week. She has threatened to return to the blog this weekend so keep your fingers crossed.

After 34 weeks of training buildup, the last two weeks of my training plan are designated as a taper period. Nearing the end of the first taper week, its been interesting. After getting used to 15-18 hours training each week for the last 4 months, suddenly the volume has been reduced to about 8 hours. I have so much free time on my hands. It has been a little maddening. As soon as the last long workout week ended, doubt started to creep in. Emotionally it feels like I should be doing more, but rationally there is nothing in the last 8 days that will improve my fitness. It is however, hard to not worry about losing some of it or gaining a few pounds. As someone who recovers quickly, tapering is something that's never been part of my plan. The recent intensity and volume is something new. After many hard weekday workouts, 7-8 hour Saturday bike/run sessions have been followed by 2-3 hour Sunday runs. At the end of last week I felt physically and emotionally exhausted. Its amazing how much better I feel now. After just 5 days of rest my legs feel better than they've felt in months. Next week the schedule only calls for 4 hours of activy at low intensity. I should be well rested on the 7th, but I may be crazy by then as well.

JG

No comments: