2.28.2010

Life is good... A fool's paradise

It should be illegal to squeeze as much juice out of life as I have this weekend. Katie and I are going to France and England in May. She currently has the job of travel agent and European educator to her non cultured husband who has never been across the pond. Friday night we had a fabulous dinner at Chez Lu Lu and she filled my head with many things French as we drank French wine. A few hours later I awoke at 3:15 am to go run the Mount Cheaha 50k. The event was without a doubt the most difficult thing I have ever done. It started at the base of the Talladega National Forest and traveled 31 miles in the woods through technical terrain to the highest point in Alabama atop Mount Cheaha. My body gave out early at mile 10, but I persevered for 21 more miles to the finish line. This was my 6th 50k and worst finish by 43 minutes. I've never been more proud or satisfied to finish a race. Today I can barely walk, but it has been a wonderful day; French movies in the morning followed by French wine by the outside fireplace this afternoon. Next Saturday we travel to Laurel, Mississippi where I'm going to make this broken body run 50 miles in the forest for the first time. Katie is going to run a 13 mile trail race the same day. While reading "Again to Carthage" this afternoon, I came across a quote that describes my existence these days.

"It may be a fool's paradise, but my point is that it's a paradise nonetheless. And what's a better alternative than even an idiot's euphoria when you're young and happy and you're fairly certain that one day in the neat future you're going to"

1. Spend 10 days in Europe with your soul mate.
2. Qualify for Boston and run in the best marathon the world has to offer.
3. Run 100 continuous miles in the woods.

Hit it hard,

JG

No comments: