1.12.2009

Life is Good...But not today


My hero died yesterday. Charles Daniel Cary was almost 84 years old. He was my grandfather and my friend. He lived a great life. He served our country during World War II. He was a small business owner. He worked hard and never complained. He took pleasure in the simple things in life, such as fishing and hunting. He put the needs of his family above his own. He loved me very much, and I loved him. He could tell a great story.

I'm sad and I'm angry. I think I'll get a tattoo in his honor so that not a day goes by for the rest of my life that I don't think of him.

As his health failed, whenever I went for a run I would think of him and cry. The last two days the tears have intensified.

If there is a god I would like to talk to him. I'd like to tell him to give me my granddad back. I'd also like to tell him I don't appreciate all the pain he allows to happen in this world.

Somehow I'll turn these lemons into lemonade. But I'm not sure how yet. I guess I'll start by living a selfless life like Chuck did, so that maybe others can benefit from my existence.

JG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a God and Granddad is with him. He was a good man and he is fishing now. Yesterday morning I talked to him and said, "Daddy, I wonder what you are doing." In a spliit second before I could even think, his voice said, "I'm reelin' in the big ones." He will always be with us, he is just out of sight. You are the greatest grandson.

Anonymous said...

Don't you worry--you won't need a tattoo to remind you of your Granddad. I lost my dear father 11 years ago and not a day goes by still that I don't think of him. Everything around me reminds me of him. And somewhere maybe my dad and your Granddad are sharing their experiences from the war. I'm so sorry for your loss. Ironically, the loss is so painful because we were so blessed to have these people. So, while we were lucky, it hurts even more.