Birmingham's annual Mercedes Marathon / Half Marathon is now only 16 days. Last year this was my first race. After months of patiently listening to training stories at work, my friend Summer (the character pictured above) came out race morning to offer support. Even though I didn't see her, she claims she had a "Go John" sign around mile 1. I was touched and at the same time a little sad that somehow I missed her.
The day after the race she vowed that next year she was going to run the half. Although this goal was fantastic, I had my doubts. First off, Summer didn't really do any running. This would be an easy obstacle to overcome since I'd be supplying expert training advice. There were other obstacles that would prove to be challenging. Finding time to train while raising two kids under 5, while working full time is more difficult than I can imagine. Somehow Summer has managed to do it. She took the picture above during her longest training run (12 miles) last week. Katie and I ran 11 with her the week before and had a blast. I guess being idealistic and having a positive attitude does payoff.
Congrats Summer! Well Done! You're gonna do great!
JG
3 comments:
John and Katie,
Thank you for being a source of inspiration and motivating those around you. The chain of perseverance touched John; and in one year's time, has linked his wife, sister-in-law, mother, and friend. I have even motivated my husband to run; and he has participated in two 5K races in Iraq. (Good job Sweet Daddy! 30min in both)
Talk about doubts you had? I didn't really work out at all, let alone running any distance over a mile in over two years. The training schedule was perfectly aggressive. These runs have been wonderful for life reflection and spirit strengthening.
I wanted to find a way to get back into working out; so, I committed to running this race. I have gotten so much more from the experience. It has been reaffirmed that you can never tell the path that someone has traveled when you are in passing. The triumps in my life can only be based on my own journey. Before and during the 11 with Katie and John I was not giving my body any sugar. I could feel all of the energy leaving me towards the end. Simply- You need some sweetness in your life.
The picture truly captures how great I feel about this goal. I am convinced I will thrive: having a loving marriage, helping to raise beautifully spirited children, connecting myself with amazing friends and helping one another grow.
I will leave the blog with this message: Let your life be a testimony. Sharing your experiences can encourage someone else.
Many thanks again for everything you two! You are excellent to know.
Thanks, Summer! You're going to have so much fun at Mercedes :).
You have beautifully spirited children because you have a truly beautiful spirit.
Keep on thriving and striving. It's our privilege to be able to walk (run) some of that way with you.
I think Summer must be amazing to accomplish this! She has inspired me to run harder.
Post a Comment