I'm staring at a calendar on my wall--a big calendar (17" x 22" to be exact). I have the Auburn Half Marathon with Meg this weekend. J. has his huge Mountain Mist 50K next weekend. Mercedes Marathon/Half Marathon and 5K are in February and the Seaside Half Marathon is in March.
Other than those events, the calendar is blank. I know it should be filled with training runs . . . and swims and bikes for that matter. But I haven't had the fortitude to commit to anything yet. I feel like I'm squeaking by on my runs--doing enough to keep my capabilities at a "just-barely-capable" level.
Right after Chicago (pre-foot injury knowledge), I said I was really going to amp it up and work on my pace (speed wouldn't exactly be the right word to use). That definitely didn't happen and I feel like I'm back at square one (well, maybe two).
In my prior professional life I made schedules--lots and lots and lots of schedules. There was a schedule for this and a schedule for that. If we got off schedule (which was very rare), I made a new schedule--so that we could stay. on. schedule. Scheduling is something I'm good at--in fact, nerd-that-I-am, I downright enjoy it--or used to enjoy it. Not even my colorful pens make me want to write on the big, beautiful, almost-empty calendar. It's pretty and white--clean and relatively free of obligations. I haven't owned a calendar like that since . . . I honestly don't know.
And I think I'm going to enjoy it for at least a few days more.
Downside . . . seeking motivation to move beyond square two (again). Upside . . . enjoying life a little less scripted.
1 comment:
I guess there comes a point where motivation is low and you wonder if running either:
A) Brings clarity and enriches our existence
or
B) Drives us totally insane
The answer of course is...All of the above, which is why we run!
Now go run a PR tomorrow at the Auburn Half.
JG
Post a Comment