Today marks the beginning of my "no-longer-at-the-library,-should-be-getting-ready-to-instruct-more-than-180-9th-and-10th-graders-come-August-12th" period. I have approximately 6 weeks until I need to have the entire year mapped out, the lessons planned, the materials secured, the accommodations/modifications thought through, the tests developed, the content mastered (yes, it has been awhile since I've read a couple of the pieces and studied predicate nominatives and predicate adjectives). I feel prepared to take on the task but overwhelmed at the same time--incredibly excited but also stumped as to where I should even start.
So far I've printed off two blank calendars (one for each grade) to try and estimate how the units/lit studies will fall across the 9-week quarters. I've bought another planner and transferred my running schedule to it along with the most important school dates (ya know, teacher workdays, testing dates, CHRISTMAS and SUMMER break, etc.). Doing so only made me slightly panic at the lack of sheer class time I actually have with these kids to accomplish everything included in the curriculum guide and standards.
For the first time since November I'm looking at a calendar again and wondering--how are we going to fit all of this in!? The enormity of the task makes me want to set it down and look around my house at all that needs to be done . . . the things that would be nice to have done BEFORE August 12.
Repaint the trim and doors where the dogs have eaten the paint
Finish painting the basement (a project we started 2 years ago)
Clean out the garage, our closets, kitchen, and so on . . .
Plant a few flowers
Pick a few weeds before planting those flowers
Bushes need to be trimmed
Hmmm, the dogs do need a bath--and they really need to be groomed.
Hang the awesome Obama portrait I got for my birthday a month ago
Paint the bookcase downstairs so I can move the stacks and stacks of books on the bedroom floor
There is a mound of ironing to be done . . . and the laundry needs to be folded.
Stacks of bills/paperwork that need to be filed--somewhere--find a place to store paperwork
Massive school project I've been delaying
House really needs a deep cleaning session
And then there is the distraction of actually having options with my time . . .
It sure is pretty outside--I could just blow it all off for just today and go to the pool with friends.
I could go to the movies with Olivia and Meg.
I could take the dogs on a walk. A long one.
I haven't caught up on everyone's blogs yet.
I'd like to finish reading Obama's first book which I started 3 weeks ago.
I'd really like to read the Harry Potter books and then meet with Olivia to chat about them.
It's been too long since I've made sourdough bread . . .
And about those runs . . .
It's HOT down here. It's finally down to low 90's today and tomorrow but the heat index has been over 100. That makes running very difficult (and dangerous for me) unless I get up before 6 am. I'll add that to my list of things I need to start doing too.
Guess the beauty of it all is that I at least have the option to pick where I'd like to start today. Better get that run in before it gets hot. And Beasley, Stella, and Rudi sorely need a bath . . . and J. will definitely need an ironed shirt for tomorrow. I'll brush up on Romeo and Juliet tonight. Carpe Diem, right?!
No comments:
Post a Comment