7.06.2009

Life is Good...Staring off Into Space

Its the last day of our vacation. Its been fun. Its been hot. I've managed to get in a couple decent runs and rides.

Recently I have found myself "zoning out" on a regular basis. Simply staring off into space, pondering everything under the sun. Katie catches me and snaps me back to reality with a comment, often asking me what's on my mind.

These moments are mostly spent thinking of my grandfather, amazed at all the things he accomplished in 84 years and thankful for the 28 that we had together. Its hard to believe its been 6 months since he passed away. I search for signs that he is still here, with us in some form. The signs don't appear often, but occasionally occur.

This deap, meandering thought process usually then leads to my own life. Hopefully Katie and I have 60 more years. Not much time when you think about it. I want to make the most out of these years, wasting as little time as possible. I think I've been wasting more time than I should lately.

I don't watch much tv, but I think I watch too much. Its time to start doing a few more things. Its time to finish that basement room. Its time to read more. Its time to run more. Its time to laugh more. Its time to do.

We're off to the bookstore. Since Katie is the English teacher, she's going to help me pick out a good book.

Here's a couple quotes I read this week.

Carpe Diem!

"I believe that when you're dead, your spirit lives on to think about all the things you didn't accomplish in your life. So I'm trying to accomplish everything" David Goggins

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives, jobs, and maybe your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery, isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance. Of how much you really want to do it. And you'll do it, despite rejection in the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods. And the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is."
Charles Bukowski

JG

No comments: