I put my iPod in a plastic baggie, grabbed a hat to keep the pelting rain out of my eyes, watched the weather radar and the big green mass that was still Tropical Storm Fay, and took off.
Rain has been a constant through this training--guess that's just part of the summer. But this was unprecedented--nice and cool--but a bit like running in a shower. Fay was definitely present. Sort of like this . . .

(minus the palm trees)
Mountain Brook and Lakeshore parkways--the best (i.e. flat) place for long runs--were covered with water--impassable in many spots. So I got brave and took off on a new route. BIG mistake. Hill after hill after hill after hill I wiped water out of my eyes (a hat, once saturated, doesn't do very much) and concentrated on not slipping on the downhills. The hills eased up but I found myself in an area with boarded up windows and a few stray dogs--enough to make me feel pretty uncomfortable. So I turned around early--and didn't end up making up the difference.
It was awfully lonely out there this morning, but Liv and J. met me at 18 to ride alongside me for the last 3. I opted for the car instead--but they're the best for coming out :). I'll get another shot at 22 in a few weeks.
Hope you all had fun and restful weekends! (And thanks for all the playlist suggestions sent via E-mail and comment--they got me through 18!)
Downside . . . wet shoes, wet hat, and 3 short. Upside . . . 18 is plenty of mileage to warrant a very large delicious, indulgent dinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment