
(September 2001)
Five years. Or seven--depending on how you look at it. We've been together for seven years, married for five. Those two prior count for something . . .
This five-year anniversary brought about a lot of changes for 2008. We decided we would do the Chicago Marathon in honor of it. John hooked back up with buddy Colin for Mercedes Marathon training, and he introduced us into this fun world of triathlon--a series of events that has really enriched our lives and especially our marriage.
Every anniversary we've looked back and expressed how incredible the passing year has been. So far each year has been better--for many varying reasons. However I don't think we ever would have said that we expected the next year to be filled with any more blessings or fun memories than the last. We've always been thankful for another year and been content with things as they were. Maybe that's key.
Regardless, 2008 has been exceptionally fulfilling so far. We continue to grow together as well as individually. J. loves piano--watch out Billy Joel. I love my English courses. We both love to do active things solo, together, and with great friends and family. J., I'm so proud of you and love you for helping me believe in myself.
The sermon at our wedding grows closer to my heart with each passing year. Denson instructed those of you in attendance that you too were taking a vow--a vow to uphold and support the vow John and I were making. Those of you in attendance, and those we've met and befriended since then, have done that. We consider ourselves very blessed and are grateful to all of you who make up our support network.
The most common advice I received before we got married was, "Marriage is a marathon, not a sprint." I've thought about this piece of advice on numerous training runs and long races. For today and the next, this is the race of our life. What an opportunity to play, train, and compete for the race of our lives with all of you. Many thanks!
(And yes, waking up at 3 am to spectate at the Mountain Lakes Triathlon in Guntersville was an unforgettable way to spend our anniversary :). Good food and fun planned for later tonight. After a nap . . . )
2 comments:
happy anniversary to the best daughter-in-law I could have gotten!
thanks jg :). I consider myself very blessed to have you guys and be a part of your family!
Post a Comment