I've fallen off the wagon this week (well, more accurately I've stepped off). I'm having some routine testing done to rule out any sort of heart issues (my resting heart rate is 85 and quickly escalates to maximum without much exertion).
This week I've not done much of anything--well, really haven't done anything workout-wise. It's a level of slothdom that I don't like but I'm following the doc's orders.
The stress test was Tuesday. I had to go shirtless (I'm not daring enough to run like that normally) in front of a team of people staring me down with at least 12 electrodes and wires running off in various directions. The treadmill faced the wall directly (which was white). I think I began conjuring images of those torturous lab test scenes from spy movies because my heart rate before we even started was at 130.
The doc wanted to be present to be able to evaluate me as I went. He announced upon entering the room that "This could take awhile since she's a runner."
Oy . . . I never do well with pressure or expectations. I quickly reminded him that I was here for a reason--that reason being that I felt like my heart rate had a racing mind of its own.
Sure enough--3 minutes in my heart rate was already at the "maximum" they had set--165. Six minutes in (yes, I'm still walking at this point) my heart rate was up to 185. Finally at 9 minutes when you can sort of walk/jog awkwardly (they did have it cranked up to the highest possible incline) my heart rate jumped to 205--where it stayed up until 13 minutes when he stopped the test.
His response, "Shocking."
My internal response: Man, this is sort of embarrassing. I'm supposed to be in great shape but the stress test results seem to show otherwise. How could I possibly do more.
Sweaty, tired, and my ego a little bruised, I listened as he mused as to why that could have happened. I couldn't help but feel a little like he just thought I'd been bluffing about the level of my running and training.
So, the good news is that that test did not show a fatal rhythm of any sort . . . bad news is that it didn't really tell us much at all (except that by the stress test results on paper I look like a really out-of-shape, average jane).
He surmised that we would wait for the echocardiogram results to make any sort of assumption about the health of my heart. I had the echo on Wednesday and he is sending the results to the cardiologist. So now I just wait. And wonder what on earth my heart rate would look like if I wasn't running/biking/swimming 5-6 days a week.
Until we get results I'm supposed to keep my heart rate below 100 (per that earlier post). Now that I know that walking on an incline for 6 minutes will guarantee a heart rate higher than 100, I'm holding off on the long run this weekend :o). Since I'm working all weekend again at the library (my second weekend working out of a series of four in a row), staying inactive shouldn't be a problem.
J. on the other hand is riding Saturday and racing Sunday (The Xterra Trail Half Marathon).
His resting heart rate is 45--lucky bastard ;O).
Good luck w/ your training/racing this weekend. I plan to live vicariously through you all (and to be back at it next week as soon as I hear something)!
No comments:
Post a Comment