
Earlier this year I qualified to participate in the Olympic Distance Triathlon Age Group National Championships. Under normal circumstances I probably would not have done the race, but this year it happened to be in Tuscaloosa. Last year it was in Oregon. We went up with a few friends last Friday to get checked in. The competitors all had 0% body fat and shaved legs.I new I was in trouble when we ran into 2008 U.S. triathlon Olympian Matty Reid at dinner.
The swim was in the Black Warrior River. Because of large amounts of rain last week the damn was open. Two thirds of the almost 1 mile swim was upstream against strong current. It took me about 14 minutes longer than planned.
The bike course was comical. I've never been passed by so many people. Men, women, old, young, big, small. They were all fast.
For the 10k run, which was hilly I average a 7:07 per mile pace and came in just over 44 minutes. I raced way above my expectations but only finished 63 out 86 people in the 25-29 year old age group. I didn't qualify for the World Championships, which are somewhere in Europe. Its probably a good thing because my dumb ass would have probably gone.
All in all a good, but humbling experience.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment