The alarm sounded at 4:30 this morning. I tried to get ready quietly to keep from waking up Katie and Olivia. By 5:30 I was running in the dark over the 280 bridge that connects Homewood to Mountain Brook my first of what I hoped would be 23 miles. The strategy today abandoned Powerade, instead opting for energy gels every 45 minutes with water. (Powerade + Energy gels = GI issues). It drizzled throughout the entire run, which was a good thing.
I made it through the first 7.5 miles without incident, and was glad to meet Colin at the Brownell building around 6:40 for the middle 8 miles of the run. I talked his ear off and probably drove him crazy, but the time passed by quickly. About an hour and 10 minutes later I was alone with my thoughts and iPod again with 7.5 miles to go. I didn't really get tired until mile 22, and was able to run through my weakening legs. I finished 3 hours and 24 minutes after I started, having averaged 8 minutes and 52 minutes per mile. This was a great run that gave me confidence of being on track to accomplish my goal of running Chicago in under 4 hours.
Going to spend the rest of the day at Uncles Ron's (who is actually a biological uncle to no one) tent at Stokin the Fire at Sloss Furnace. I plan to sit in a chair, eat ribs, and drink beer until dark. Don't worry Mom, Fitzmo is driving.
Katie is in school today. Olivia and I plan to keep her company during her 21 mile run tomorrow morning, although we may do it from bikes instead of on our feet.
JG
1 comment:
thank goodness for fitzmo
Post a Comment