Yesterday was great! Seriously. I don't have a room. The technology is lacking and sporadic. But all of my classrooms are right next to each other--and we're located in the 9th grade annex (the nice new little separated building with only 10 classrooms). It will be a nice little island away from the serious hustle and bustle in the rest of the school.
The mentor teachers are genuinely fabulous and willing to help in any way possible. I have a base room that I share with a girl I've had grad classes with before--she's easy going and it's her first year too. The flexibility that was scaring me--lack of departmental guidelines, etc. seems to be something that everyone sees as a good thing. My mentor teacher is sharp and we seem to be on the same page as far as the novels we want to cover, etc.
When I walked into the school, the band, volleyball team, and dance team were practicing--it was festive. But most importantly I walked in and thought, man, these kids are so young! With my experience being in middle school I wasn't sure what high school would feel like. And while I never thought I would feel necessarily like them--I was worried I might walk down the hall and get lost in the crowd. I am a couple of feet shorter than some of them, but there is definite distinction. Feeling drastically different is the most important element.
We will get a little money for supplies--but it won't get to us until later in the quarter so I'm glad I went ahead and stocked up. And I'm really thankful that I do not HAVE to decorate a classroom this year. I have spent so much time studying the curriculum/planning lessons that I feel prepared--definitely more prepared than the other new teachers. It's a start and I don't feel behind anymore. A slight sigh of relief leading to twinges of serious excitement--about MY students, OUR studies . . . To Kill a Mockingbird, Mythology, Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies, etc.
I just finished my classroom rules, procedures, routines, and now I'm fine tuning my syllabus and year overview of big projects, books, etc. I'll use today and this weekend to wrap up any errands, make sure my professional clothes are in order (considering I haven't really used them since last December), and finalize my daily plans for the first two weeks.
I also hope to get in my long run, a long ride, and celebrate the last weekend before school starts, before the Memphis marathon training program starts, and life in general.
TGIF :o)!
5 comments:
I'd like to know what the standard classroom rules are these day. Good luck but I doubt you need it.
Ha! They are basic, my friend. And I'm sure you can guess the first one starts with respect. They are as follows . . .
1. Be respectful.
2. Be prepared.
3. Own your choices.
4. Follow directions quickly.
5. Golden Rule: Convince me that you are doing your BEST!
Those are at least Mrs. Gregg's rules :o).
And I'll need all the luck/prayers/crossed fingers and toes I can get--so thanks!
I look forward to keeping up with your new adventure at school and your marathon training, too. You've got much to look forward to!
I read that it was an accident :0, but I like your new blog look!
Wahoo! First day jitters! Love you and can't wait to hear all about it!
Post a Comment