7.01.2008

Chasing the High

I've racked my brain, logged the details, taken advice and still haven't been able to reproduce the once-in-awhile, priceless runner's high. Maybe it's sleep, food, freshness, weather or a mystical combination of all of these. Saturday was my day, finally. It was unexpected--and maybe that's the key.

J. was out for a ride by 5 a.m. and I got a slow start (hitting snooze one too many times) at 7:30 for what has now become a "short" long run distance of 8. I didn't do much pre-run prep--skipped breakfast and coffee (usually a must) in order to beat the encroaching heat of the day.

I put my GPS on backward so I wouldn't be tempted to check my pace. And took off. For a June morning, the weather couldn't have been better. The air was light and fresh, sunshine warm, and before I knew it 4 miles had gone by--quickly. I got lost in my thoughts in the remaining miles and wrapped up surprised, amazed, feeling stronger than ever, and with renewed faith in my running improvement (especially given last weekend's disappointment).

What is the runner's high? For me it's getting into the rhythm of my heartbeat, my breathing, my stride, my surroundings. It's noticing the slight changes in the seasons and delighting in each. It's recognizing the familiar faces along a regular running route (and the exchange of an empathetic grimmace or a grin). And thinking about everything or thinking about nothing--either to music or just the beat of my feet. It's feeling strong and capable. Above all--it's definitely worth chasing.

Maybe my upcoming 14-miler will go just as well (fingers crossed).

Downside . . . nada. Upside . . . redemption.

No comments: