Last month I commented on being inspired after reading the autobiography of Dean Karnazes, who commonly runs distances that most would think impossible. There's a quote in the book that I missed when I read it, but was later brought to my attention from a friend also reading the book.
"There's Magic in Misery"
At first glance this quote looks odd and doesn't make much sense. Upon further examination I have found it to be very true when running and a tool for managing my everyday life.
Katie and I truly enjoy running. We wouldn't do it so much if we didn't. As we plod along, most miles are fun and carefree. However, there are times when our journey becomes a struggle. Times when we've been running so long that our minds our drained. Times when our muscles ache. Times when our energy reserves are completely depleted. And as we've discovered recently, times when our bones are broken. Oftentimes when these obstacles present themselves, the journey to the finish line or the warm car is still many miles away.
In the moment these times are nothing but pain and misery. In the past they are the times we look upon with our fondest memories of perseverance and accomplishment. For we do not grow as people during the carefree miles, we grow during the miserable ones.
Katie has received some odd comments this week for dragging a broken foot through the last 10 miles of the Chicago Marathon. She has been accused of being excessive, unwise, and unbalanced. I can see how dropping out of the race seems like the more rational choice to some.
We have fond memories of the race. Its an achievement Katie will reflect on with a humble sense of pride for the rest of her life. Its true that if she had stopped running before the finish line a lot of misery and a broken foot could have possibly been prevented. But without the misery there would not be the magic of accomplishing a goal that once seemed impossible. That magic will remain long after the foot has healed.
There aren't any words that describe why we run better than Dean's.
"There's Magic in Misery"
JG
3 comments:
You write very well. Running must be like life, a journey with struggles and pain along with happiness and joy. I find that perserverance and Faith are the keys. These two things will always take you through the misery to the magic. The magic is always there if we know where to look.....
I am proud of you both.
all of my favorite people are excessive, unwise, and unbalanced.
Kate - thanks for the nice comments and the prayers. It's those from people all over that really give me the motivation to keep going...I'll think about your words while I'm out there!! -Lana
Post a Comment