10.22.2008

So I Finally Found the Wall

I don't think I've ever really hit the infamous runner's wall that I always imagined would be some ethereal mental form of this:



Ya know, those runners that look like this:



Nope. No wall like that for me. I've gone slow enough for that to never happen to me. But I've managed to find a wall anyway. It just looks like this:



Yep. That foot pain I've been mentioning periodically--which I dismissed because, well, I honestly thought pain would just be a given. That was a stress fracture in my 5th metatarsal (i.e. the end of the pinky toe). It was also a severe case of peroneal tendonitis (all in my left foot). And a severe case of plantar fasciitis (but that's just my right foot).

This sheds new light on the time when I told J. at mile 18 of the marathon that I felt like I just didn't have any "feet" left to run on. The doc thinks I've had the stress fracture for a good while now. He seemed to be impressed by my pain threshold. I guess in a way it's nice to know that eventually it may not be as painful as it has been.

So. What now? Plan B.

No activity WHATsoEVER (doc's orders) for at least 6 weeks, possibly 8--of which my time must be spent in this ugly, constrictive "boot." No running with my sister for her first 1/2 marathon--only non-weight bearing cheering. No running the Memphis Marathon in 8 weeks. I've not counted Mercedes out completely, but after 6 weeks of immobility the marathon will be 10 weeks away.

Sigh. . . Enough crying, though. A pity party can only last so long.

Just don't tell my doctor I plan on hitting the pool first thing tomorrow :). And I'll be on that bike as soon as I possibly can.

Downside . . . I've lost the one activity that truly helps me keep my sanity. Upside . . . I get to wear tennis shoes to work and with the amount of swimming I'm going to do over the next 6 weeks I may even be able to give Michael Phelps a run for his money!

2 comments:

twintigers said...

So sorry to hear of your injuries. I feel your pain with the PF. I have suffered from it for 5 years and have done all the exercises, PT, Motrin, shoe inserts, snake oils and voo doo. NOTHING has worked. Let me know if you make an earth moving discovery of healing and we will patent it! Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

kate said...

Ha! Voo doo--ya know, the doctor--an orthopedist--said he would send me some voo doo stuff in the mail . . . sounds sketchy!

I will definitely relate any info I have. Here's one that helps so far . . . the nighttime brace actually is nice. And a poor man's ice bath (a 2 L Coca Cola bottle--because I don't like Pepsi--filled with water and frozen . . . roll your foot over it for 15 minutes a day).