4.28.2009

Life is Good... Ironman Training





Its Tuesday night and I am exhausted, just getting home from a 3 hour workout at 8 p.m.

Who am I?
How did I get here?

After completing my first marathon in February of 2008, I decided to give triathlons a try. It didn't take long to determine that the big daddy of triathlon, the Ironman, was the ultimate goal. This race consists of a 2.4 mile ocean swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon (26.2 miles). The winner will finish in 8 hours and I'll be lucky if I cross the line under 12.

So now here I am 27 weeks from Ironman Florida, on November 7, 2009. I'm currently in the ninth week of my 36 week training schedule.

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/

Its not that any of the workouts are too difficult, its just that there are so many of them. This week calls for 12 hours of swimming, biking, and running. Its also necessary to get in a little strength training on the side, which adds to the load. It doesn't get any easier, so I better get used to being tired. On the bright side I have no shortage to training partners and endless support from Katie.

I bit the bullet and bought a Triathlon bike this year. Tri bikes differ from rode bikes in that they put riders in a more aerodynamic, comfortable position. Even though this position is less stable, its okay since drafting is not allowed in U.S. triathlons. I love the K-Factor! It may not make me faster, but it sure feels like it.

The 2009 season began last week here in Birmingham with the Powerman Alabama Duathlon, a 5 mile run, followed by a 33 mile bike ride, followed by another 5 mile run. The race moved to downtown Birmingham for 2009. I did well, but the race was nine days ago and I still haven't recovered. Maybe I went too hard for the first race of the year.

The Gulf Coast Half Ironman is coming up on May 9. Katie and I will be making the trek to Panama City with Colin and Wendy. This race provides a great opportunity for practice as its on the same course, albeit only half as long, as the Ironman in November.

So with 27 weeks to go and nine days since my last off day, I think I'll take tomorrow off and hang out with Katie, who conveniently is off is well.

Here's to the journey, which in the end, is much more rewarding than the goal. And here's to the people that make it so much damn fun!

Hit it hard!

JG

No comments: