4.01.2009

Life is Good...Into the Unknown




I haven't posted in a while. Where have I been? I'm not sure. Seems like everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.


The last few months have been some of the happiest of my life. Not to say there has not been significant difficulty or sadness, but overall there is a sense of inner peace along with constant energy to go and do like never before. My life is like a five year old's trip to an amusement park. I am intrigued by everything, but understand nothing. Not worried about when it will be time to ride the last roller coaster and go home, but instead just running through the park with reckless abandon, throwing caution and rationale to the wind.


I've been running now for two years and continue to push my limits. The question I have been asking myself is, how did I get here. How does one transform from a discontent, out of shape young adult, who has his life planned out all the down to what he'll be doing 20 years from now, into a five year old at recess who relishes the moment without worry of what's next?


Here are the answers I came up with. I think I would have laughed at this list two years ago.


1. Somehow I landed Katie, who continues to amaze me. The more time I spend around her, the better life gets. Each day I am more thankful for her love and adventurous spirit. Glad she still puts up with me.


2. Tremendous new playground buddies (friends). This group of people are the best I've ever been around. Their dedication to family and training is a constant source of inspiration.


3. A greater understanding that my parents road to hoe was much tougher than mine, but a deep appreciation that they hoed it anyway so that my brother and I could live closer to Easy Street than the road that travels uphill both ways.


4. Less expectations from people


5. No limitations for myself


6. Less TV, More Music and Conversation


7. Realizing that not knowing the answer if often the best answer


8. A deep sense that although none of us know what comes next, death is not the end


9. The farther I run, and the more it hurts, the better it feels


10. Life is not an out and back or a jog around the track. It is a great journey into the unknown!
Hit it hard!
JG

3 comments:

kate said...

Beautiful babe :). So glad you still think life is good. I whole-heartedly agree with all of your points. And count my blessings each day that we're in this together--that's 99% of the fun.

Maybe in retirement you can go back to school to study philosophy. I think you may enjoy it. Why not, right?

jg said...

beautiful!!! I have always been proud to be your mom.

Sum-E said...

Dito! And, thanks for sharing.

Take care all.