As J. mentioned in a post this weekend, the Statue to Statue 15K marked the anniversary of my first race. What do I know a year later that I didn't know then? The following:
1. I am an athlete (although not quite athletic).
2. What I do isn't exercise, it's fun.
3. Nothing is harder or more uncomfortable than the new-runner first mile.
4. Avoid Mexican food before a long run or race.
5. Avoid too much coffee before a run or race.
6. And ditch the whole wheat bagels--bring on the refined carbs.
7. Because I learned #'s 4-6, I also know that the port-a-potty hover is a must.
8. Wearing shoes that are too small will give you black toenails.
9. I wear an 8 1/2, not a 7 1/2.
10. Not all orthopedists think distance runners are great.
11. Physical Therapy is code word for massage--the only upside to injury.
12. No activity can replicate the runner's high (at least no activities I've tried).
13. Some days are great and others aren't. It's almost impossible to figure out why.
14. Wear white with caution.
15. Avoid light-colored running shorts.
16. GUs work.
17. But practice with them first.
18. After a year of running I really want to run Boston--but only if I can qualify.
19. After a year of running I understand how hard it is to go from a 5-hour-marathoner to a 3:40-marathoner.
20. However, running makes you believe anything is possible.
21. I am not a quitter.
22. Training is the cake. Racing is the icing. I've always enjoyed cake the most.
23. The training is what builds character.
24. You never run out of goals in running.
25. Hmm--Boston in 4 years--maybe it's possible . . . maybe . . .
1 comment:
4 years is a long time. I think you can do it! You just gotta peel off a few minutes at a time and you'll get there.
Post a Comment