10.19.2008

Life Goes On. What Next?

So the event I trained for the past year (10 months to be exact) is over. This morning J. and I went to an RPM class (think spinning, but cooler)--my first attempt at exercise since Chicago, definitely not J.'s. He ran 20 yesterday. At 8:35 per mile pace. I know. Crazy, right? He can really kick some asphalt when he's not trying to hone in on a fellow runner with a camera.

So what has this week been like? A deep sense of satisfaction accompanied by a lot of this:



And this:



Which goes best with this:



Which is best followed by this:



Yes, savoring the week afterward as a week of ultimate indulgences was worth the 10 months of semi self-deprivation and training devotion. I've enjoyed every minute of it, but the sluggishness is starting to set in.

What's on the horizon? Huntsville 1/2 marathon (2 weeks--w/ M.!). Memphis 1/2 marathon (7 weeks--J. to do the full). Beyond that I don't have another major commitment until the Mercedes Marathon in February.

So on to the next big event. Training starts again tomorrow and I'm ready to dive in with renewed vigor. Maybe I'll even work on getting "sort of" fast. Maybe I'll take long, long bike rides (do need to get back on the bike since I'm signed up for a half-Ironman next Fall). Maybe I'll spend some more time in the pool. Maybe I'll make Rocky Road ice cream a staple in my next training plan . . . mmmmmm!

1 comment:

K. said...

or MAYBE you can do 20 to 30 reps of patting yourself on the back.

you people are extreme!