4.14.2009

Joy Rides

I've tried riding from my house but falling at intersections and getting blown off the busy roads make Oak Mountain my number one choice for a bike ride. It's hilly as hell, but there is a bike lane and cars are few and far between.

So I've been trying to make it out to Oak Mountain at least once a week--sometimes twice. I love being able to just ride and not worry about buzzing old ladies in VW bugs or irate drivers shaking their fists because they think cyclists shouldn't be able to share the road.

The usual route that I do is 17 some odd miles and this week I did that twice--for 34 total. Then I added a short 3 mile run around the lake. I'm not going to tell you how long all of that took me. I may be seeing some improvement in my running times but cycling is still a sore spot for me.



I'm getting better at pulling all of my gear together more quickly--and making sure my tires are in good shape. I've heard different opinions on psi--I usually pump mine up to about 135 and then when I unhook the pump I'm betting I lose another 10 psi. So I think I'm riding on about 125 or so.



Can you tell that I'm enjoying my free time these days? Not sure how I'll fit all of this in come August--guess I'll worry about that then and enjoy the luxury of time now.



On a weekday morning the park is empty--it's totally quiet other than the birds, trickling streams, and breeze through the leaves--a stark difference from riding on noisy busy roads.



In 2 months I'll be swimming in that lake for the season's first triathlon.

Downside . . . it's all hills in these parts. Upside . . . where there is an uphill there is also a downhill.

2 comments:

Bob Evans said...

Heard about your blog on Phedippidations. I live in Birmingham. I run Statue-to-Statue every year and when Steve mentioned you would be running it, I just had to check out your blog. I ride Oak Mountain most weekends too. So, all of you pictures look so familiar (those of the surroundings). Any way, not trying to be creepy or anything. Just thought it was cool that another Alabama person got credit on Phedippidations. Good luck at STS.

Nice blog, by the way.

kate said...

Thanks, Bob--for the well wishes and compliments! Glad to know there are some fellow Birmingham folks out there in the blog world. Statue to Statue is a beast--good luck to you too.

I'll be taking it easy in the back :) . . . Just hoping all of the cold beverages aren't gone by the time I get to the finish.